How to talk about deficiencies with your landlord

How to talk about deficiencies with your landlord

Do you have any shortcomings in your residence that your landlord has not remedied yet? Learn how to take up the discussion with the landlord.

What are deficiencies?

If anything in the house does not meet your reasonable expectations, there is a flaw.If the residence has a defect that you did not cause, you must have it repaired by your landlord.

Your landlord is required to keep the portion of the lease that he is required to keep throughout the rental period. This implies, among other things, that he must correct deficiencies. You are responsible for the portion of the house where you have a maintenance obligation.

It is rarely a pleasant situation to request that the landlord spend time and money to repair a flaw in the property. However, we would like to try to provide you with a guide on how to best contact the landlord.

If this anxiety becomes too much for you, DIGURA can assist you in negotiating with the landlord.
When conveying a negative message, it is critical to maintain a positive tone so that the landlord perceives you as being considerate. At the same time, you must be clear that the lack is not the result of your actions.

You can explain how the damage occurred to the landlord so that he understands the situation and does not suspect you of trying to defraud him. Once you have informed your landlord of the defect, the landlord must correct it within a reasonable time.
Why do you get a guide on how to get through a dialogue with a landlord who is not always likely to take it? Your landlord may not always be equally friendly when he needs time and money to repair damage; why do you get a guide on how to get through a dialogue with a landlord who is not always likely to take it?

You may also like: Are you paying too much in rent in Denmark?

Why should you get help from DIGURA?

Every month, we help thousands of tenants both via our membership solution and our case processing. When we process the cases, we achieve a positive result for the tenants in 98% of the cases. We are here to help you who are potentially being deceived by your landlord, and you who actually want to keep the money you are entitled to.

Does your landlord refuse?

Unfortunately, it is common for the landlord to try to blame the tenant for the damage, even if the tenant approached in a polite and friendly manner. Several tenants are unsure what to do next and end up paying for the deficiency. This is not, however, advised. You will almost never be reimbursed for the money you spent to correct the deficiency.

If the landlord believes the damage is the result of your actions and you disagree, you must inform the landlord.

If you are considering paying for the improvement yourself, we recommend that you first contact us. Such taxes must be paid by the landlord.
If the landlord does not agree that the damage is not the result of your behaviour and you are unable to resolve the issue through dialogue, you can inform your landlord in a polite manner that you want the rental board to make a decision on the matter. Continue reading for more information on the rent appeals.

You may also like: How to terminate your lease in Denmark

Does your landlord threaten to evict you?

Your landlord cannot simply evict you without further notice. As a tenant, you are protected by the Danish Rent Act from such situations. Similarly, your landlord cannot evict you because you broke the lease rules in the past, such as one month when you paid the rent late.

As a result, we recommend that you, as a tenant, ensure that you have followed the terms of your lease, and then simply ignore the landlord’s threats. However, if the landlord promptly sends you a resignation letter, the renting committee may be able to assist you once more.

You may also like: Final inspection when you rent in Denmark

The Rent Committee

The Rent Committee is a Danish institution that has been given jurisdiction to settle disputes between tenants and landlords. They are the ones who can assist you if you have issues with your landlord. However, there are some formalities to be aware of.

Get legal advice and avoid being deceived

This topic can be very complicated as a tenant. The above is to be seen as a general guidance and not as downright legal advice. We always recommend that you contact us to ensure that you get the proper necessary legal advice that is relevant for your specific case.

You can get help with this topic but also any other matters you may have. Unfortunately, we see many tenants that are being deceived. Often, they miss out on a lot of money – anything from a couple thousands to 30-40,000 kroner. Imagine what else you could spend the money on.

Let us help you

At DIGURA we are always available and easy to reach, you have your own legal advisor, and best of all you only pay if we win your case. Therefore, it is risk free for you to get help from us.

We have achieved a positive result for tenants in 98% of all the cases that we have processed. We have a 9,3 score on Trustpilot, 5 star rating on Facebook, and we have helped more than 1000 tenants. We really want to help you too.

If you are unsure about anything in the article, our team is ready to help in the chat. You can find the chat in the bottom right corner.

If you need legal advice, you can get your case assessed below. It is free and our competent legal team will make a non-committal assessment of your case.

Share this post

Do you want a free assessment of your case?

It only takes 2 minutes to fill out the form.
Afterwards DIGURA will assess your case and get back to you the same day.

The Great Community for Tenants in Denmark

First group in Denmark connecting English speaking tenants. Join to ask questions, learn from tips and tricks, network and stay on top of new updates from DIGURA.