5 things to remember about consumption in Denmark

5 things to remember about consumption in Denmark

What should you be aware of in relation to your consumption in the lease?

1. Payment for the actual service

Your landlord is NOT allowed to make money on your consumption. The money you pay should only reflect your actual consumption.

2. Consumption accounting

Your landlord MUST make an annual consumption report regarding each individual utility. If this requirement is not met, you are entitled to get your money paid for your consumption refunded.

You may also like: A conto: Everything you need to know as a tenant in Denmark

3. Separate meters in the lease

If your landlord has not set up individual meters that measures your electricity and water consumption separate from the other residents, he is not eligible to charge a-conto payments.

Why should you get help from DIGURA?

Every month, we help thousands of tenants both via our membership solution and our case processing. When we process the cases, we achieve a positive result for the tenants in 98% of the cases. We are here to help you who are potentially being deceived by your landlord, and you who actually want to keep the money you are entitled to.

4. Rules regarding the consumption statement at the end of the year

There are some formal requirements for the consumption statement the landlord must obey:

  • The statement must be delivered to the tenant, no later than 4 months after the end of the fiscal year.
  • Time/date for the tenant to receive the consumption statement
  • Tenant’s share of the total expenses
  • Tenant’s opportunity for objection

You may also like: What you need to be aware of as a foreign tenant in Denmark

5. How to object the consumption statement

If you pay too much in a-conto or the landlord doesn’t obey the form requirements or deadlines for the consumption statement, this is considered invalid. In these cases, you are entitled to receive a refund for the utility related to this.

You must object within 6 weeks after receiving the consumption statement. If you object to the statement, your landlord is required to bring the case to the rent assessment committee. If he does not, he loses his rights on for the extra payments he demanded you to pay as the tenant.

You may also like: Is a tenant liable for damage?

Get legal advice and avoid being deceived

This topic can be very complicated as a tenant. The above is to be seen as a general guidance and not as downright legal advice. We always recommend that you contact us to ensure that you get the proper necessary legal advice that is relevant for your specific case.

You can get help with this topic but also any other matters you may have. Unfortunately, we see many tenants that are being deceived. Often, they miss out on a lot of money – anything from a couple thousands to 30-40,000 kroner. Imagine what else you could spend the money on.

Let us help you

At DIGURA we are always available and easy to reach, you have your own legal advisor, and best of all you only pay if we win your case. Therefore, it is risk free for you to get help from us.

We have achieved a positive result for tenants in 98% of all the cases that we have processed. We have a 4,7 score on Trustpilot, 5 star rating on Facebook, and we have helped more than 1000 tenants. We really want to help you too.

If you are unsure about anything in the article, our team is ready to help in the chat. You can find the chat in the bottom right corner.

If you need legal advice, you can get your case assessed below. It is free and our competent legal team will make a non-committal assessment of your case.

Share this post

Do you want a free assessment of your case?

It only takes 2 minutes to fill out the form.
Afterwards DIGURA will assess your case and get back to you the same day.

The Great Community for Tenants in Denmark

First group in Denmark connecting English speaking tenants. Join to ask questions, learn from tips and tricks, network and stay on top of new updates from DIGURA.