5 tips on a conto in Denmark

Man der finder depositum nemt

There are several things that one as a tenant needs to be aware of when paying its consumption a-conto. DIGURA gives you 5 tips for paying a-conto.

1. Large monthly charges?

By your move in you should already consider as to whether the monthly a conto payments are realistic based on an estimate of how many people are going to occupy the residence and the size of the residence. The landlord is not entitled to charge unrealistic charges for a conto, but instead has to adjust these from the bills that the landlord has previously received.

2. Does your residence have a consumption meter?

The Danish Rent Act has set some strict requirements as to when a landlord may charge a conto payment, including some specific usage rules. It is the case that if the landlord has not set up an individual consumption meter for water or electricity that can accurately measure your individual consumption of water and electricity, the landlord is not entitled to charge them. In fact, if your landlord has neglected to install individual consumption meter in your property, you may require a refund of repayments, as these should have been paid through your rent.

You may also like: Are you being scammed with additional payments?

3. No individual meter for heat?

Unlike water and electricity, the landlord is actually allowed to charge payments for heat even if no individual consumption meter is installed for heat. This must be done by the landlord distributing the costs based on the number of square meters or volume of the residence.

If you live in a property with a number of more tenants with the same landlord, you may, if a majority wish, require the landlord to set up a consumption meter for the apartments, thus dividing heating costs based on the usage measured by the meters.

4. Have you never received a consumption balance or received an extra bill?

Did you know that the landlord is obliged to provide an annual account for you, as well as comply with a number of formalities?  The landlord must follow a fiscal year, thus issuing an annual consumption balance for you as a tenant. In this account must include information about your total consumption, actual consumption, and that you have the opportunity to object to the consumption accounts within 6 weeks.

You may also like: How to terminate your lease in Denmark

If you receive your account later than 4 months after the end of the financial year, the accounts must contain a date / indication of when the landlord received the statement on the final accounts from the utilities utilized by the landlord.

If the landlord does not comply with these requirements, the consumption account is considered invalid and the landlord may in fact lose his right to any claim. If you have an invalid consumption account, do not hesitate to contact DIGURA.

5. Have you objected to your account or are you considering it?

As mentioned, your annual accounts must contain a how to complaint – that is, an opportunity to object to the consumption balance, where you as a tenant have 6 weeks to do so. It is therefore a good idea that on the day you receive the letter of consumption, remember to write down the date when you received it, so this information is always available.

Keep in mind that the objection must be in writing and must contain a statement of reasons for the opposition.

If you object to the consumption balance, the landlord must submit the case to the rent committee within 6 weeks of your 6 week deadline. If the landlord doesn’t do that, he loses the right to maintain his claim for post payments.

Do you want a free assessment of your case?

It only takes 2 minutes to fill out the form.
Afterwards DIGURA will assess your case and get back to you the same day.


Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on linkedin
Share on print
Share on email
Close Menu


Vil du ikke gerne undgå at blive snydt eller få kompensation som du er berettiget til?

Gør ligesom 1000 andre lejere og tilmeld dig vores nyhedsbrev – Det kan potentielt spare dig for mange tusinde af kroner. Vi vil give dig gratis råd omkring indflytning, mens du bor til leje og ved din fraflytning.


Vi anvender cookies for at sikre, at vi giver dig den bedst mulige oplevelse på vores website. Hvis du fortsætter med at bruge dette site, vil vi antage, at du er indforstået med dette.