How do I dispute a charge?

How do I dispute a charge?

How do I dispute change? Article on

Sometimes a tenant is charged a fee by the landlord that the tenant does not agree with. In this article, you will find out how you should handle these kinds of charges and how to dispute a charge.

What kind of fees could it be?

The fees the landlord decides to charge can come in many forms throughout the tenancy period. Often the charges can be for damages or other fees when moving out of the tenancy, or maybe you are being charged for additional services. Landlords will often charge you, because they either believe they have the right to do so, but some landlords may also exploit their tenant, because of their lack of knowledge about their rights.

If there is some kind of damage in your apartment but you do not believe that you are legally obligated to pay for the repair, you would usually object to the fee by explaining to the landlord why you do not believe you are required to pay. However, this is only possible if you know what rights you have as a tenant.

When disputing a fee, there are several options. In the following, we will go through your options when dealing with a fee that you consider unreasonable. 

Your lease

Before you can understand your rights as a tenant, you should pay close attention to what is written in your lease. In your lease you will often find an answer to who is responsible for certain repairs. This is often found in section 11 of the lease.

You should be aware that just because something is included in your lease does not make it legal. If you are uncertain about the content of your lease, you can submit it for a free check by following the link below.  

You may also like: There are errors in 52% of all leases. Does that concern your lease too?

Become legally secure in your tenancy for 79 kroner.

Are you afraid of being cheated or have you already experienced it?

You can become a member of DIGURA’s Membersip where you can get help with your questions and tenancy issues. You can feel secure in your tenancy for only 79 kroner per month.

Contact your landlord

If you disagree with a fee the landlord is charging, the first thing you should do is contact your landlord. We always recommend that you always communicate with your landlord in writing. When you write to your landlord, instead of using verbal communication, you will have proof of the objection and any promises made.  

You should make your landlord aware of your reason for objecting to the claims, what you do not agree with and anything you may agree with.

If you are charged for something that you know is illegal or maybe you are not responsible for through your lease, you should refer to the law or your lease. We always recommend that you try to keep the discussion as civil as possible.


It can be very different from landlord to landlord how they react to disputes.

If your landlord disagrees with your objection and refuses to cooperate, a mediator can be helpful in terms of resolving the issue outside of the court. A court case can be a lengthy, costly and time-consuming process, which is why we in DIGURA always try to solve the problem outside the court. We often experience that this is the best solution for both parties.

The Danish Rent Committee and the Housing Court

If the charges cannot be solved by a settlement, then it will often lead to a case ending up before the Danish Rent Committee or the Housing Court.  

Generally, you would first have to send a written complaint to the Danish Rent Committee. The jurisdiction of the Danish Rent Committee is limited and so the issues and course of action should be assessed on a case to case basis. If the Danish Rent Committee cannot pursue the case the claim should be brought before the Housing Court.

You may also like: How does a case at the Rent Committee work?

Get legal advice and avoid being deceived

The above should be used as a general guide. We always recommend that you contact us to ensure that you get proper legal advice that is relevant for your specific case.

Let us help you

At DIGURA we are always available and easy to reach, you have your own legal advisor, and best of all, you only pay if we win your case. Therefore, it is risk-free for you to get help from us.

If you are unsure about your claim you can get your case assessed for free. You will receive a reply within 24 hours. 

Do you want a free assessment of your case?

It only takes 2 minutes to fill out the form.
Afterwards DIGURA will assess your case and get back to you the same day.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on whatsapp

The Great Community for Tenants in Denmark

First group in Denmark connecting English speaking tenants. Join to ask questions, learn from tips and tricks, network and stay on top of new updates from DIGURA.