5 tips on regulation bills when you rent in Denmark

5 tips on regulation bills when you rent in Denmark

Have you received a regulation bill of your consumption from the landlord? Here are 5 tips on how to calculate and how best to respond to a payment from your landlord.

1. What is due to the regulation bill?

If you receive a regulation bill, it’s important that you firstly consider what this bill is due to. Your landlord is only entitled to a regulation bill if his money received from a-conto payments can’t cover the actual consumption. Therefore, look at your consumption and your monthly a-conto payments and evaluate if these matches each other.

2. Does your landlord even have a claim at all?

According to the Danish rent act, you are required to install independent meters for water and electricity, respectively, if the landlord is entitled to charge a-conto payment. If the landlord has neglected this task, he can’t require that you as a tenant pay a monthly contribution and, for the same reason, he is not entitled to a regulation bill.

You may also like: Regulation bill: What is the rules in Denmark?

Why should you get help from DIGURA?

Every month, we help thousands of tenants both via our membership solution and our case processing. When we process the cases, we achieve a positive result for the tenants in 98% of the cases. We are here to help you who are potentially being deceived by your landlord, and you who actually want to keep the money you are entitled to.

3. Has your landlord adhered to the complaint manual in the Consolidated Financial Statements?

There is a specific requirement for the landlord that he must include in the consumption balance a guide to the possibility of objecting to the consumption regulation. If the landlord doesn’t provide the tenant with this information, he loses the right to charge a regulation bill. According to the rent act the landlord in the consumption accounts must clearly inform the tenant about the possibility of objecting to the consumption balance.

4. The landlord does not pass the complaint to the Housing Appeals Board

Have you complained about the consumption accounts and the landlord didn’t do something about it?

Under the rent act, the landlord is obliged to file the case before the rent committee within 6 weeks, after the expiry of your 6-week deadline, to the consumption accounts. If the landlord does not file the matter to the rental board before the expiry of that period, the landlord loses the right to charge the payment. Keep in mind that your objection to the consumption balance must contain a statement of reasons.

You may also: The landlords access to your residence

5. Is the consumption account timely?

The last tip regarding regulation bill deals with the deadlines in relation to the consumption balance. The rent act imposes strict formal requirements, for example, as a tenant, you must receive the consumption account at the latest 4 months from the end of the financial year or show that he awaits the balancing from utilities. If the landlord does not comply with the deadlines, the landlord does not have the right to demand a regulation bill by you as a tenant.

Get legal advice and avoid being deceived

This topic can be very complicated as a tenant. The above is to be seen as a general guidance and not as downright legal advice. We always recommend that you contact us to ensure that you get the proper necessary legal advice that is relevant for your specific case.

You can get help with this topic but also any other matters you may have. Unfortunately, we see many tenants that are being deceived. Often, they miss out on a lot of money – anything from a couple thousands to 30-40,000 kroner. Imagine what else you could spend the money on.

Let us help you

At DIGURA we are always available and easy to reach, you have your own legal advisor, and best of all you only pay if we win your case. Therefore, it is risk free for you to get help from us.

We have achieved a positive result for tenants in 98% of all the cases that we have processed. We have a 9,3 score on Trustpilot, 5 star rating on Facebook, and we have helped more than 1000 tenants. We really want to help you too.

If you are unsure about anything in the article, our team is ready to help in the chat. You can find the chat in the bottom right corner.

If you need legal advice, you can get your case assessed below. It is free and our competent legal team will make a non-committal assessment of your case.

Share this post

Do you want a free assessment of your case?

It only takes 2 minutes to fill out the form.
Afterwards DIGURA will assess your case and get back to you the same day.

The Great Community for Tenants in Denmark

First group in Denmark connecting English speaking tenants. Join to ask questions, learn from tips and tricks, network and stay on top of new updates from DIGURA.